Thursday, November 18, 2010

Not enough Fruits & Veggies

I was on facebook yesterday when I saw a post from a friend:  she said when teaching her kiddos about the food pyramid, a child asked her "why is the cafeteria serving us packaged pancake/sausages on a stick with chocolate milk? Does that even belong on the food pyramid??!" I couldn't help but let a little giggle out...but then I became so mad that the kids are not even given the opportunity to make good choices.  I was reading USA Today this morning and came across this article stating that kids and adults are eating less than 2c. of fruits and veggies per day, much less than the recommended 4-6c.

http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/food/diet-nutrition/2010-11-17-noveggies17_ST_N.htm

Well it only makes sense that we are choosing crappy foods over fresh foods at a young age with all the advertisement and pressure from "Ronald McDonald" and the obviously crappy food available in the cafeteria K-12....but it just floors me that adults are choosing to become subjected to the pressure and lazy cop-out of over processed foods...ugh! I could ramble on and on about this food/obesity crisis...but I will spare you!!

Instead I'll leave this article to get your own wheels turning and challenge you to get off the couch and do some sort of exercise today and to eat one more serving of fruit or veggies than what you normally get on a daily basis.  It starts with small lifestyle changes and ends with a whole body lifestyle change. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment