Friday, December 17, 2010

Working out in the SNOW!

This morning I woke up feeling like the last thing I wanted to do was truck through the snow and cold to go run on a treadmill, but was determined to do it anyway since I've been slacking over the last 2 weeks. :)  When I opened my garage and discovered my driveway still wasn't plowed (despite paying people to do it!) I decided that a change of plans was in order!! So I ran upstairs, changed into my snow clothes, and grabbed the shovel! I love the workout that shoveling snow can give you ~ you work your core when stabilizing yourself and in lifting the snow, you work your arms and back muscles to lift the snow, you hopefully work your legs too if you lift properly, and of course you get a cardio workout as well! I know that when I shovel, I definitely receive a total body workout because I'm usually sore all over within a few hours. :)  Now for those of you who are calorie counters....the amount of calories burned will vary depending on your weight, but I used my heart rate  and VO2max caloric burning rate to determine my number of calories burned.....and it was approximately 250 fat calories and 375 total calories! If you haven't had your VO2max performed you can use a common calorie counter such as the one found on healthdiscovery.net  That's a lot for not having to leave my home to receive a total body workout! :) 

Just be careful not to dump the snow in your face! hahaha aww poor kiddo!

I challenge you to take advantage of the snow, get out of the house, and break up your exercise routine! Nothing better than spending time outside when the snow is falling, your dogs are running around, and it's absolutely beautiful out! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment